Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I'm pregnant!

Ted and I finally decided life was stable enough and the insurance secure enough to try for baby number 3.  I could tell that I was pregnant the first week really but by week 6 I was so huge there was no point in even buying a pregnancy test.  A friend asked the day after I went to the doctors for the first time why I haven't told her I was pregnant yet and if it could be twins.  I just got big really fast.  Like normal I became very nauseous.  The first 12 weeks I felt like I could throw up at any minute.  Smells became intolerable!  I'd sit down and fall instantly asleep and the house work became something of little importance.  I was counting down for those first 12 weeks to get over but once they did, the nausea kept going. I no longer felt the need to throw up every single minute but during this time is when I did start to puke.  Brushing my teeth always triggered it.  If something wasn't in my stomach the minute I woke up that did it too.  My need to eat became tiresome.  Food is no fun when you have to eat it, every hour...or else. To calm my stomach, I was downing vitamin B, ginger-ale, ginger cookies, ginger tea, and candied ginger to the point that ginger is now repulsive and closely associated with vomiting (Pavlov). I didn't tell my family my big news before showing up to see them in Utah.  Their initial internal response, Wow, Jana must really like Swiss food!  Every time I had to tell them to break the awkwardness.  I guess the surprise wasn't really worth it, but they are all happy for me.  Now I'm past my half way point and no longer throwing up, thank goodness!  My energy level has returned and the house is once again tidy(ish).  The big news: It's a girl!  Our house will be filled to the brim with estrogen.
Week 6.  The baby is now the size of a gummy bear with little stubby arm and leg buds.
Week 14.  Freaky looking alien growing inside me.
Week 14, picture number 2.
Week 20.  The baby is now much more human looking and rubbing her eyes.  Yes it's a girl.
Week 20, picture 2.  The doctor says she is not quite sucking her thumb, more scratching her chin.

Week 24.  Not a great picture.  The baby's face is turned slightly to the side with the both eyes visible.



So far the baby seems to be healthy and strong with no known birth defects.  I'm hoping the next half of this pregnancy goes as smoothly.

No comments: