Sunday, December 4, 2011

Kaitlan's Räbenlichtli Parade

For the second year in a row we enjoyed the very Swiss tradition of the Räbenlichtli Umzug (Turnip parade), this time with Kaitlan's kindergarten and joining up with 3 other kindergarten's in the area. This parade is closely related to the end of the harvest time and signifies the time when the last of the crops are brought in. It's also dark extremely early and a bunch of kids walking around with turnip lanterns and singing these traditional Swiss songs is very heart warming during these long cold nights. This year's hiking path was around our village of Nürensdorf and lasted well over an hour before we reached the ending point at the middle school. There, we joined up with the other groups who were also walking around their respective villages or walking paths. The kindergartners formed a huge circle and sang the Räbenlichtli songs one last time all together. This was followed by free pumpkin soup and bread for everyone. I must admit that soup was fantastic! I liked it more than the one I usually make. I think it was half pumpkin, half cream. Warm soup was the perfect ending for the brisk night air. I wish the US had a similar tradition, it was really so wonderful to a part of it.













No comments: