Thursday, January 15, 2009

"Mad" King Ludwig's Castle's





We finished off our trip to southern Germany by seeing the most famous German tourism site, "Mad" King Ludwig's castles near Fussen. Ludwig's Neuschwanstein (noy-SHVAHN-shtine) castle was Walt Disney's inpiration and fronts almost all of the German tourist books. I had high expections I guess and was sadly dissapointed. It was built in the 1870's but made to look like a century older than it is with lots of turrets and arched ceilings. This particular king got all this notoriety because he wasn't really interested in politics like he should have been to run his kingdom. Instead he spent his time and fortune building castles all over Bavaria, employeeing lots people I'd imagine. His mysterious early demise ads to the intriuge of his life and consequently people wanting to tour his fancy palaces. We went thru Hohenschwangau, the castle that Ludwig was born in and lived in occaisionly before walking up the hill to see Neuschwanstein (meaning New Swan Rock). Both really fancy and picturesque but the best part of the day was stopping for these little deep fried doughnut hole type pasteries called Quark Ballchen. Soo delcious! I am so going to bring these back to the States when we come home!

No comments: