Friday, August 22, 2008

The Grygla family visits


On July 20th Grandma and Grandpa Grygla came to visit us for the next 2 weeks! Kaitlan was very shy at first, it being nearly a whole year since Grandpa's last tickely beard kisses. It wasn't long before Kaitlan was laughing and eating her food "before Grandpa gets it". Aubrie was very excited to show them how she can catch a frog in the back yard and gave it a good attempt to show her slowly progressing bike riding skills. I was very gratefull for Dad putting together a bike trolley thing that allowed Aubrie's bike to be hooked to Dad's/Grandpa's bike so the 4 of us could explore while Grandma worked. That first week we checked out the little zoo by our house, some Cathedrals downtown, ate dinner on a boat, toured the beautiful Schwerin Castle, and learned about life in the years of 1400-1600 in this part of Germany at the Freilicht museum before Dad, Janice and I headed to the Neatherlands (formerly known as Holland).




While driving on the German autobahn Dad thought it was funny that there was so many signs directing us to the city "Ausgang". I got a good chuckle as I explained that Ausgang means Exit. Dad, Janice and I got to tour the home of Corrie Ten Boom, author of The Hiding Place. It was in that very house that the Christian Ten Boom family helped save the lives of an unknown number of Jews and Holland boys. The book is fascinating, I highly recommend it. We also got to tour the Anne Frank home, also a must read. Of coarse Hollands history involves more than just the WWII time period. We also visited one time industrial section of Amsterdam that has a collection of something like 13 windmills that at one time(1400's?) were all in busy operation as mills but are now little museums or souvenier shops. We learned how wooden shoes were made along with Dutch cheese and I did my best to keep the souvenier shops in buisness. We checked out Muiden Castle on way home and learned about life in that castle's location from 800 AD to the present .

No comments: