


Behind Ted and the girls in this pic is the original Roman baths foundation now protected within a glass house.
After spending the day swimming we hiked up to this beautiful old castle and watched the sun set over the Black Forest. We met a very talkative old man who said this castle was destroyed during the 30 years war. Kaitlan really wanted to understand how it got "broken". We tried to explain about bad guys burning it and throwing rocks or cannons at it because they didn't want the king to be their ruler any more but it was really hard for Kaitlan to understand and asked the question again and again not happy with the answer she got. Maybe her intrigue will steer her into becoming a history major. I however couldn't tell you when the 30 years war was (without looking it up) or anything about it. I actually don't think I learned a single thing in my European studies class in high school. Europe was too abstract to think or care about. Hindsight certainly is 20 20.


No comments:
Post a Comment