Monday, October 19, 2009

Aubrie's first day of school






Here in Deutschland the first day of first grade is a really big deal. It is a major right of passage that all extended family and friends are invited to celebrate with the child at school and later at their homes. All this fuss helps the children to realize this beginning of their school career is a big deal and one not to be taken lightly. One mother was telling me it's this, a church thing like a barmitva or a baptism, then high school graduation and marriage. So I admit, I got a little teary eyed listening to the assembly that I couldn't understand a word from but thinking about Aubrie's future and what type of person she will become. I hope she loves learning and reading. I hope she learns compassion and humility and how to be brave in new situations, and difficult ones. I hope I'm doing the right thing dragging her across the world and plopping her into a German and soon to be a Swiss environment. I hope the education she will get here is as good as or better than Utah. She had such a big smile on her face, a big toothless smile. She is missing her two front teeth just like her friend Melina Bartels. The kids are most excited about receiving the enormous "schule tute" (sh-ool toot-a) that they get to carry around and get pictures with. It's filled with school supplies and sweets. Aubrie was very considerate to share her chocolate smarties with her sister. It's also a tradition here for the kids to wear these enormous square back packs. It doesn't seem ergonomic to me but Aubrie has never complained. I found a great back pack for her at the thrift store but I don't think I would have paid the 100 plus Euro's for a new one no matter how fashionable it is. My friend DeEtte thought the same thing and after 2 weeks of her son Wyatt complaining he was the only one with the small baby type back pack she was forced to cave in. Aubrie's teachers are Frau Shieman and Frau Georg. I feel bad she only gets to be a part of this class for a month and a half before we head to Switzerland. It's hard to uproot and find new friends. We are keeping our fingers crossed for a smooth transition.

No comments: